I-95 in Norwalk is closed at least until Monday due to a tractor fire


Norwalk police said the following roads have been closed to help direct traffic through the city:

Fairfield Avenue is closed from Cedar Street to Connecticut Avenue.

Cedar Street is closed eastbound from Connecticut Avenue to Fairfield Avenue and closed in both directions from Fairfield Avenue to Reed Street.

Stuart Avenue is closed southbound from Connecticut Avenue to Reed Street

A truck fire on I-95 south between exits 15 and 14 in Norwalk closed the highway for most of Thursday.

According to police, it happened around 5:30 am

The major fire involved a petroleum tractor-trailer, a tanker truck and a car. The tanker was carrying 8,500 gallons of petroleum, fire officials said.

There were no fatalities in the incident, officials said.

One firefighter suffered leg injuries and was taken to Norwalk Hospital.

Norwalk fire officials said flames coming from the petroleum tanker, tractor-trailer, car and power lines were extinguished in about an hour.

“We had all the engines in the city here. As soon as they came, foam was pouring out. The fire went out quickly. It just took a while for foam to get on the fire,” said Deputy Chief Stephen Shay.

Major damage was caused to the Fairfield Avenue overpass bridge.

Tom Krosnowski’s previous reporting from News 12:

Governor Ned Lamont said Thursday morning that the highway is expected to be closed for a significant period of time. Lamont recommended staying away from the area due to traffic congestion. Lamont says the affected portion of I-95 won’t reopen until Monday.

“Anyone traveling through this area should find alternate routes,” Lamont said on X, formerly known as Twitter.

Traffic is being detoured from I-95 to Connecticut Avenue.

An investigation into hazardous substances is underway.

Tom Krosnowski’s previous reporting from News 12:

Residents who live near the Fairfield Avenue overpass told News 12 they were feeling the effects of the accident.

“My whole building shook. I thought, ‘What’s going on?’ It shook three times. I looked out the window and all I saw was flames. I heard little pops, pops, pops, and that’s when we knew something was wrong,” said Lawrence Taylor.

Taylor says he was also concerned about the acrid diesel odor wafting over the area.

“Oh, it’s horrible. This smell must be dangerous. My wife and I have the windows closed, so we’re doing pretty well. I think everyone should stay inside for now,” he says.

Tom Krosnowski’s previous reporting from News 12:

Several people News 12 spoke to said the crash affected their commutes and normal traffic routines.

“I saw the highway was closed, left early and it took another hour and a half to get here from Stratford. Oh, this is bad. There’s no way around it. All the roads are closed and no one cares,” says Jerry Millbauer.

“It’s not easy to get around I-95. There’s Merritt Parkway, but for hikers they have to go through the side streets,” Shay said.

Tom Krosnowski’s previous reporting from News 12:


Norwalk Public Schools originally said the closure this morning caused major delays to school bus service. The district continued a normal dismissal process this afternoon, with schools releasing students at regular times.

Norwalk Public Schools announced they will be closed Friday.

Fairfield Public Schools also said out-of-district buses may have been delayed due to fire activity this morning. As of 1:09 p.m., Fairfield officials said traffic conditions may cause bus delays this afternoon.